One of the key features of the Business Scholars Program is a paid project-based internship. The internship bridges academic theory and professional practice, linking the Hanover College liberal arts education to the real world. The internship lets Scholars try on a career to see how well it really fits and to obtain in-depth experience and credentials in the field of their choice. Host organizations include business, not-for-profit, and government organizations.
Typically, internships take place during the summer between the junior and senior years. In the fall of the junior year each Scholar will begin working with the BSP Director of Internships to determine their career interests and identify an appropriate internship host. They will also work to make sure there is a core project so the work will be valuable to the host and to the Scholar, and will result in meaningful accomplishments to put on the Scholar's resume.
In many situations the interns will be paid by the host. In situations where the host cannot pay the intern such as with many not-for-profit organizations, Hanover College will provide the Scholar a stipend.
Each Scholar intern will work with a faculty advisor to prepare for their internship. The advisor stays in contact throughout the internship and typically visits the internship site at least once during the internship to make sure the internship is going as planned and to discuss what the Scholar is learning about themselves and their career interests.
More specifics about the internship are included in the Scholar Handbook.
Sample Project-based internships:
- Pricing Strategy: research and report on new product or service introduction
- Design and implement a consumer satisfaction survey, including recommendations
- Research and recommend software for application in accounting, manufacturing, POS (point-of-sale)
- Research and report on available benefits package cost and feasibility; include employee survey
- Summer 2016 Project-Based Internship Placements
- Summer 2015 Project-Based Internship Placements
- Summer 2014 Project-Based Internship Placements
- Summer 2013 Project-Based Internship Placements
- Summer 2012 Project-Based Internship Placements
- Summer 2011 Project-Based Internship Placements
- Summer 2010 Project-Based Internship Placements
- Summer 2009 Project-Based Internship Placements
- Summer 2008 Project-Based Internship Placements
- Summer 2007 Project-Based Internship Placements
- Summer 2006 Project-Based Internship Placements